complesso agave
versione italianafrench versiongermany version
itinerari escursioni flegreo
itinerari turistici zona flegrea
1) Acropoli
2) Antro della Sibilla
3) Arco Felice
4) Anfiteatro di Cuma
5) Lago Averno
6) Tempio di Apollo
7) Monte Nuovo
8) Lago Lucrino
9) Stufe di Nerone
10) Punta Epitaffio
11) Tempio di Mercurio
12) Tempio di Venere
13) Castello Aragonese
14) Tomba di Agrippina
15) Cento Camerelle
16) Piscina Mirabile
17) Punta Pennata
18) Lago Miseno
19) Isolotto di S.Martino
20) Villa Servilio Vatia
21) Casina Reale
22) Lago Fusaro
23) Serapeo
24) Rione Terra
25) Tempio di Augusto
26) Anfiteatro Flavio
27) Terme Puteolane
28) Chiesa di S.Gennaro
29) Solfatara
30) Città della Scienza
31) Ippodromo
32) Necropoli

in the heart
of the Park Regional
of Campi Flegrei


... Everything in the strict
observance of the canons
of welcome and hospitality

Distance from theAgave Hotel Residence Inn Resort

Archaeological Park of Cuma : 2 km
Sybil’s Cave: 2 km
Averno lake: 1 km
Archaeological Park of Baia: 2,5 km
“Solfatara” volcanic area: 6 km
Amphitheatre Flavio: 4,5 km
Agnano Thermal Center: 8 km
Pozzuoli Port: 4 km
Serapide Temple: 4 km
Storic Centre: 4 km

Phlegrean Fields

Campi FlegreiThe Agave Hotel Residence Inn Resorts is situated in an area of great historical, artistic and cultural value. The "Phlegrean Fields" (from the Greek phlegràios = burning), named by the ancient Greeks to indicate the volcanic nature of its territories, where inhabitate by primitive and mythical peoples. Pozzuoli, the ancient Roman "Puteoli", due especially to the strategical location of its port, was one of the main centers for trade in the whole Mediterranean Sea.
It still preserves considerable traces of the past such as the ruins of Rione Terra, that reveal an "underground Pompei", the Flavian Amphitheatre and the Serapeo. The whole volcanic area situated west of Naples is particularly rich in archeological sites and natural beauties: the Solfatara, the Averno, Lucrino and Fusaro lakes, Cuma with the Sibyl's Caves, Baia with the ruins of Roman Thermal Baths.

Pozzuoli

Campi FlegreiIt was founded in 530 B.C. by political exiles from Samos who gave the city the auspicious  name of  “Dicearchia”, which means “just government”. Being on Cumaean territory, it was, at first, subject to Cumae, fell in 421 B.C. under the power of the Campanians and in 338 B.C. under the Romans, who, during the Punic wars, acknowledged its importance as a trading and military port. Then it changed its into that of Puteoli (small wells) and became one of the most important ports in the mediterranean, so that it was called “Delus minor” and “litora mundi hospita”. The industries of glass, terracotta, perfumes, textiles, colours and iron developed considerably, owing to the presence of local skilled workers educated to Phoenician, Hellenistic and Egyptian traditions. Through its port Puteoli also assimilated other civilisations and religions. It is, in fact, historically established that St. Paul landed at Puteoli in A.D. 61, found a Christian community in the city and stayed there for a week. Puteoli thrived as long as its port met the requirements of Roman trade, but suffered a great blow when the Roman trade, but suffered a great blow when the Romans built the port of Ostia. Owing to downard bradyseism, wich submerged harbour facilities, and to the fall of Rome (476 A.D.), Puteoli became a small fishermen’s centre and, in the Middle Ages, tourists came to the Phlegraean area only to take thermal treatments. After the eruption of Monte Nuovo in 1538, the social, economic and cityplan situation of Pozzuoli began to improve thanks to the Spanish viceroy don Pedro de Toledo.
Astroni

Astroni

The name comes from the Latin sturnis, because of the abundance of birds, or from strioni (sorcerers). It is a beautiful and undamaged crater with a luxuriant vegetation made up of ilexes, chestnut trees, oaks, elms and poplars.

Solfatara

"Solfatara" volcanic area

The Solfatara volcano, whose elliptic crater has major axis of 770 m. and a minor one of 580 m., was formed 4000 years ago and is the onle one in the Phlegreans Fields that still exhibits an impressive fumarolic activity. In the crater you can observe such interesting phenomena as jets of sulphurous steam, small volcanoes spitting hot mud and bubbling jets of sand. The last eruption of the Solfatara is calculated to have taken place in 1198 A.D.
Anfiteatro Flavio

Flavian Amphitheatre

Begun under Nero and completed by Vespasian (69-79 A.D.), this amphitheatre is the third largest in Italy. The main axis measures 149 metres and the transverse one 116 metres. It could accommodate up to 20,000 spectators. The subterranean structures are in a perfect state of preservation and nowhere else is it possible to get so clear sn idea of the complicated.
tempio di serapide

Temple of Serapis

During the excavations, which were begun in 1750, a statue of the Egyptian god Serapis was found and therefore the edifice was mistakenly held to be a temple. It is, however, nothing else but the “macellum” or the city market annexed to the port area (I-II c.A.D.). The three columns of grey cipolin bear evident traces of the holes made by lithodomi (marine molluscs) and show the effects of bradyseism (slow upward and downward movement of the earth’s crust). The Macellum is enclosed in a rectangular area with a porticoed court and a row of tabernae (shops) down each side. In the middle of the court rises a “tholos”, a kind of circular temple whose entablature was supported by sixteen columns, of wich three are still erect and one lies on the ground. The magnificence of the building can be seen in the marble revetments of the central court and of the two larger rooms, which were public lavatories, located at each end of the apse.
rione terra napoli

Rione Terra

This quarter, rising steeply above the sea, was the oldest nucleus of the Greek city, the acropolis, the citadel, the “ castrum” and the religious centre. It preserves considerable traces of the street network of 194 B.C.,when a Roman colony was established in Pozzuoli. On 2 March 1970, because of the phenomenon of bradyseism, the quarter was evacuated and, after a long period of neglect and pillage, works have started with the purpose of utilizing and exploiting it. They are still under way. At present, tourists can visit a long interesting stretch of the subterranean archaeological route. The itinerary starts at an entrance of Largo Sedile di Porta and, after a detourto visit the underground areas (horrea) of Palazzo Migliaresi, it unwinds along a wide decumanus, believed to be maximus, which is flanked by tabernae, and meets up with a narrow cardo. The entrance to the public baths, wich led to the floor above by a steep stairway, opens out onto the crossroads. The predestrianization work carried out under Nero with the constructions of a colonnade on the left side, visibly narrowing the road surfaces, can be seen clearly in the first part of the decumanus. There are numerous cisterns on various levels dating back to different periods, wich were used to collect the rainwater that was essential to the life of the citadel, and many of these were used as pauper’s graves, alongside a few cryptoporticus. The state of preservation of the urban structure is exceptional, as is the building stratification, the perfect sewer system, the pistrinum (miller’s-baker’s shop), with the grindstones still intact and the many small neighbouring areas believed to be a brothel offering accommo-dation. Then, you go down to the richly decorated hypogeal lararium, (twelve divinities and the labours of Hercules), and back up again to the decumanus of via Duomo. A visit to the Archaeological Museum of the Phlegraean Fields in the Castle of Baia is reccommended to admire the various works found in Rione Terra, with the particularly beautiful head of Athena Lemnia, the work of the Greek sculptor Phidias.
tempio di augusto

Temple of Augustus

Brought to light after the burning of cathedral in 1964, wich revealed beautiful corinthian columns, the so-called Temple of Augustus was the city’s “Capitolium” durino the republican age. By will of lucius Calpurnius, a rich Puteolan merchant, it was rebuilt by the architect Lucius Cocceius Auctus during the age of Augustus: it was converted into a Christmas church between the 5th and the 6th century A.D. and then into a cathedral. It was remodelled in the baroque style during the episcopate of Martino de Leòn y Cardenas (1631-1650). It is now under restoration.
tempio di nettuno

Temple of Neptune

The construction of this monument dates back to the reign of Hadrian (2nd century A.D.). It is a grandiose archaeological complex and may be included amongst the most imposing thermal establishments of ancient Puteoli.
lago d'averno

Lake Avernus

Frew Placet in the Phlegraean Fields evoke Homer, Virgil and the cult of the otherworld more than lake Avernus, believed by the Ancients to be the entrance to Hades (the Underworld). It is a lake of volcanic origin, its depth at the centre reaches about 34 metres. In 37 B.C. Agrippa linked it by a canal first with lake Lucrino and later with the sea, and transformed lake Avernus into an impressive dockyard (Portus Julius). On The eastern shore of Lake Avernus you can admire the imposant thermal hall, know as the “Temple of Apollo”, which dates from the reign of Hadrian (2nd century A.D.). It had originally a domed roof and its diameter (about 38m.) is a little less than that of the Pantheon in Rome.
monte nuovo

Monte Nuovo

Monte Nuovo (140m. high) is the youngest mountain in Europe and was formed after a volcanic eruption on 29 September 1538. This eruption, preceed by numerous earthquakes, swallowed up the village of Tripergole on the east shore of Lake Lucrino and caused the depopulation of Pozzuoli. In 1996 an interesting Wildlife Reserve was inaugurated on its slopes, in order to protect the geological, botanical and zoological resources of the Phlegraean Fields.
porto julius

Portus Julius

In 37 B.C. during the civil war between Octavian and Sextus Pompeius, M. Vipsanius Agrippa, Octavian’s strategist, ordered the construction of a navigable canal connecting lake Avernus, lake Lucrino and the sea and created a grandiose naval base (Portus Julius), which was used as a dockyard for the fleet of Misenum. Owing to the descending phase of bradyseism Portus Julius is mostly submerged; when the sea is calm, however, imposant remains of port structures and of some suburban “vici” can still be seen between Pozzuoli and Baia.
porto julius

Arco Felice

This grandiose construction, 20 m. high and 6 m. wide, is a deep cutting through Mount Grillo made by the Romans in order to provide an easier transit from Cumae to Pozzuoli on the Domitian Road (A.D. 95).

Cumae

cumaCumae is believed to have been founded in the 8th century B.C. by colonists from Euboean towns Chalsis and Eretria, who had already settled on the neighbouring island of Pithekoussai (Ischia). Very soon Cumae spread its power over the whole Phlegraean area, including Naples. Its history, from 421 B.C., when the city fell into the hands of the Campanians, mixes with that o Dicaearchia. Towards the end of the Republic, when Puteoli became the chief port of Rome, Cumae fell into a rapid decline and was remembered only as a quite, almost deserted town and as a place of worship, owing to the presence of the oracular Grotto of the Sibyl. During the Middle Ages, Cumae became the fixed abode of robbers who, in 1207, were wiped out by a Campanian league.
porto julius

Temple of Jupiter

Only the stereobate remains of the Greek, so-called Temple of Jupiter (5th century B.C.) on the summit of the acropolis. During the 5th century A.D. the temple was transformed into a Christian basilica, of which one can still observe the remains of the ancient altar and a large circular baptismal font. On the lower terrace of the acropolis there is the so-called Temple of Apollo, the construction of which is attributed to the mythical Daedalus, who escaped from Crete with his artificial wings and landed at Cumae. Of the ancient temple all that survives is the stereobate platform, because it was converted into a Christian basilica in the 5th century A.D.
Antro della sibilla

Sibil's Cave

The monument, entirely hollowed out of the tufa bank, fascinates the visitor owing to the atmosphere of mistery that pervades it. According to Virgil’s description (Aeneid, VI), it is in this place that the abode of the Sibyl, Apollo’s prophetic priestess, must be located. It might, however, also be a rare example of funerary architecture inspired by Creto-Mycenean tombs. A 131.50 m. long, 2.40 m. wide and 5 m. high gallery (dromos), trapezoidal shaped and lighted by six side slits, open into a vaulted chamber, where the Sibyl rendered her oracles.  According to recent studies the purpose of this gallery was to defend the underlying port area.
lago fusaro

Lake Fusaro

Lake Fusaro, of lagoonal formation, was believed by the ancients to be the “Acherusia Palus”. In the middle of the lake rises the Royal “Casina” a hunting lodge built by Carlo Vanvitelli in A.D. 1782.

Baia

lago fusaroAccording to the legend, this port took its name from Bajos, the companion of Ulysses, who died and was buried here. At the beginning it was dependent upon the powerful Cumae. Baia owed its fame, in ancient time, to its mild climate and the copious hot springs, so that it was with good reason that Horace wrote: “Nullus in orbe sinus Bais praelucet amoenis” (No place in the world is more beautiful than pleasant Baia). Owing to bradyseism, the ancient city is now, to a great extend, under the sea.
parco di baia

Park of Baia

The function of this archaeological complex has not yet been established, because of the particular distributive typologies of the constructions; some scholars assume that it was the imperial Palace. Some rooms, however, which are technically very elaborate, as the dome-shaped circular hall of the so-called “baths of Mercury” (inner diameter m. 21.46), were clearly intended for thermal use. The complex is conventionally divided into four sectors, traditionally named “temples”: the baths of Diana, of Mercury, of Aphrodite Sosandra and of Venus.
Castello aragonese

Aragonese Castle

It occupies a highly strategic vantage point dominating the gulf of Pozzuoli. The fortress already existed in Aragonese times and was enlarged by the Spanish viceroy, don Pedro de Toledo after the eruption of Monte Nuovo (1538 A.D.). it has been a Military Orphanage since 1927. A considerable part of the castle has been housing an archaeological museum since 1993.
museo archeologico

Archaeological Museum

The museum, at a stage of expansion, displays the finds of the Shrine of the Augustals at Miseno, with the reconstruction of the pediment, the bronze equestrian statue of Domitian-Nerva, numerous plastic casts of Greek sculptures found at Baia and marvellous scene of the maritime Nymphaeum of Punta Epitaffio with its valuable statues. The museum also houses the finds brought to light during the excavation of the “Rione Terra” quarter in Pozzuoli, which are still under way.

Miseno and Bacoli

miseno bacoliThe Homeric legend has it that thwe aerial promontory was the burial place of one of Ulisses’ companions, whom Virgil transformed into Aeneas’ trumpeter, Misenus. Cumae early used the port of Miseno, whose importance was more firmly established when Augustus made it the Tyrrhenian naval base. Among the prefects of the Misenian Fleet were Tiberius Claudius Anicetus, who murdered Agrippina by Nero’s order, and Pliny the Elder, who perished in the eruption of Vesuvius (A.D. 79). The whole promontory and the surrounding hills of Bacoli were covered with Roman villas, of which the most sumptuous was Marius’ villa, later the property of Lucullus. The emperor Tiberius died there in A.D. 37. The modern town of Bacoli, in ancient times called “Bauli”, owing to the cowsheds (boualia) built by Hercules for the cattle he stoled from Geryon, spread out around the church of St. Anne and became a self-governing commune on 19 March 1919.
piscina mirabilis

Piscina Mirabilis

Built during the Augustan age, this immense water reservoir, entirely dug in the tufa bank, was the terminal outlet of the Serino aqueduct. 70 m. long, 25,50 m. wide and 15 m. high, its vault being supported by 48 pilasters, the Piscina Mirabilis had a capacity of about 12,600 cubic meters and formed a precious water reserve for the Roman fleet at Miseno. 

Monte di Procida

monte di procidaThe town of Monte di Procida spread out around the church of the Virgin Mary of the Assumption, erected in 1664 to satisfy the religion needs of farmers from Procida. With the slow and gradual building expansion, the church underwent radical enlargement and rebuilding too. Monte di Procida became a self-governing commune on 27 January 1907.
AGAVE Hotel Residence Inn - 80078 Pozzuoli (Na) - SS. 7/IV Domitiana Km 53+390 - tel. +39 081 5249961 - fax +39 081 5246336 - P.IVA 07036501216 - info@agavehotel.it